Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm so not ready for this


"Mom, is $6,000 a lot for a car?".

This was the question that the boy recently asked me at dinner. Obviously I knew where this was headed. He's 15 years old, need I say more? So I smiled (because I do find it funny that he does not have his permit yet and he's already looking at cars, oh and apparently mom is going to buy him one) and then I asked him "Doing a little car shopping are we"?

So he starts telling me about this $6,000 car. The rest of our conversation went something like this:

"I don't really care about the features, as long as it looks good. I saw one for $2,000 but it was ugly"
"What kind of car was the $6,000 one?"
"A Camareo"
"You're not getting a Camereo".
"Why?"
"Several reasons, but one is they're not good in the snow."
"Oh, so can you give me your car and just buy yourself a new one?"

Sure child, the car will be paid for by then and I am going to really really miss making those car payments, so why not? *sigh*


He then goes on to say, "I saw a car for $15,000 but I thought that was a lot, that's probably what yours cost".

More child, mine cost much much more...


So I explained that first he needs to get his permit, then go to Drivers Ed, then practice... LOTS of practice, then he will get his license. THEN, we can talk about a car.

My boy, driving... I'm not ready for this. I feel like every other day I hear about a teenager in a fatal car accident, sometimes they were at fault and sometimes not, but life altering just the same. My brother died in a car accident and although it was nineteen years ago, that type of tragedy stays with you forever.

I guess all I can do is try my best to teach him how to be a safe driver and pray. Lots and lots of praying...

1 comment:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

My son is 17 -- and I miss the drive time we had together when I was the one who took him where he had and wanted to go. :( But I do adore the independent and responsible young man he has become.