Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Busy much?

How do you and your family keep track of your busy lives? In this age of technology there are so many helpful devices and methods out there to track those all-important dates and deadlines. But what's the best method?

Don't ask me.

Friends will tell you I have a busy schedule, and they would be right. Not by design of course, I just, well, I like to stay busy. We love entertaining, to be entertained and there's just so much to see and do and so little time to see and do it in. So how do we keep track of our lives? I'm happy to share. Follow along now...
TK and I work together, so we use our online CRM system to keep track of meetings and appointments as they relate to business.

Since we both have access to it, we also fill it in with our personal appointments as well as social activities. That way if either one of us wants to schedule something with a quick peek at the calendar we know if the other one is free. And we can see it from any computer, anytime, anywhere.Easy right? Yup. Let's keep going...

We also have another online calendar for work, this one is simple and also web-based and tracks things for the company as a whole. Vacations, staff meetings, etc. but not anything for any one individual. User friendly and you don't need to be trained on it, like you do for the CRM. Makes sense for the employees who aren't all that fond of technology but can get to a website easy enough. Got it?

Then there's the great family calendar on the wall in the kitchen, one of those cool ones that sections off each person so you can add specific activities for each person or even for several people. We use an old fashioned marker to update this bad boy. This one is really helpful for letting the kids know when we'll be out - dinners, weekend activities, etc. Know what else would be helpful? If they looked at it. It's also where Moose, our oldest one, is supposed to write his schedule if anything out of the ordinary comes up. Note use of the word "supposed". He manages to get his vacations with the boys on there but that's about it. This calendar is helpful because it's big, bright and we are all in one place there on the wall. I refer to it frequently "Check the calendar, your next doctor's appointment is on there." And the handy-dandy pen makes it easy to update. Still with me? Or are you starting to think I'm a little crazy?

Oh, join me back at the computer now, won't you? Several summers ago, as Ziggy started to attend summer camps and had commitments to various activities all over town I started a calendar just for her. Remember, folks, I'm a working mom who relies on others for car-pooling and child tending. I needed a visual reminder of who had her when and where they would be as well as what they would be doing. Excel has a great template for a calendar (thanks Lisa for showing me this) that allowed me to color code - oooohhh!! - her activities. I even colored who had her when. For example Meagan was purple and was here three days a week. I then print it out and hang it on the bulletin board in the kitchen so we all know who does what when and why. Sometimes I even know how much, but not always. It's great, huh?

I can't tell you which one is the best method but here's how I look at it. You don't have just one pair of shoes do you? No, you don't. Every pair you have serves a different purpose but all provide the same basic service - to cover and protect your feet. Same with calendars, for me anyway. I don't sound so crazy now, do I?

So, how do you keep track of your life?

6 comments:

TK said...

Honey...can you check the calendar and tell me where I am suppose to be today??

Amy Sue Nathan said...

I use an old fashioned calendar - one calendar for work, social, kids. I keep it on my desk and when I remember to look at it - all is fine. :)

Angie Ledbetter said...

I really don't keep track. DH (Deer Hunter) does his own thing, and the kidlets are 17, 18 & 19, so drive themselves around (and me crazy). I do have a regular old calendar on my home office desk, though. Other than that, we just kinda wing it. I guess that's where flexibility comes in? :)

Doreen said...

I forget everything, am always late or miss stuff entirely. But I really think it is all part of my charm :)

SharonK said...

You know somehow most men do get by without one... maybe I should just scrap them all and see what happens???

Carolyn said...

Like you Sharon, I am hooked on the multiple calendar thing. Mostly because I'm not sure how to use the fancy gadgets (iPhone) all that well yet, nor do I remember to always fill that one in. The family wall calendar is a must, but I do struggle sycronizing the phone, kitchen, work and kid calendars. Somehow I manage to get us all where we are supposed to be, when we are supposed to be there.