Friday, June 12, 2009

Love is in the air

All around me my friends are sharing their "new relationship" stories, people are meeting people...love is in the air....I must be breathing from a different air supply. Obviously I am happy for my friends and their new found loves, but as a single 42 year old with zero prospects in sight I have to admit I started to feel a tiny bit bitter. I really felt like if I heard one more person tell me how they "met someone" I was going to kick them in the shin, hard. Okay, I wouldn't really do that.

One night at dinner this week with friends, the subject of flowers came up. I tried to remember the last time I had received flowers from anyone. They were from Sharon, not too long ago she gave me beautiful pot of Daisies (one of my favorite flowers), just because she was thinking of me. Now, as previously stated in past blogs, I have a non-sexual crush on her. I have several circles of friends who mean a lot to me - but Sharon is my best friend. She gets me, I get her...if she were a dude I'd probably marry her.
I mean can you blame me? She gives me flowers, writes me poems, she makes me laugh and knows exactly what to say when I'm feeling down. But she's a girl, with girl parts and I have no intention of switching teams.

I'm not one of those women who "needs" a man in her life to make her feel complete. But just because I don't need one, doesn't mean I don't want one. I know I'm not alone in my single status, there are plenty of women who are in the same boat as I am. Sometimes it can be lonely, but as Sharon pointed out, I'm not one to settle...so I guess it's better to be alone then to be miserable because I settled just to be with someone.

The truth is I like my life, I am happy 98.9% of the time. I have a good job, a nice home, a great kid and wonderful friends. So instead of whining about what I don't have, I'm going to make an conscious effort to be thankful for the great things I do have in my life. I have faith that God has someone picked out just for me. (I'm sure that it's taking him so long to find me because his car probably broke down, so he's hitch hiking his way across the country, yeah that's it) I just have to remember all the awesome reasons when I start feeling the "why not me" blues.

So thanks Sharon for listening to me bitch and for talking me off the ledge the other day, you're the best non-boyfriend a girl could ask for.

3 comments:

SharonK said...

Awww, aren't you just the sweetest non-boyfriend friend!!!

Don't forget, men who date you have it twice as difficult as most men, they need to impress both you AND me!

Men - all applications must be submitted and approved by me prior to reaching date-able status (yesirre, I do accept bribes)

TK said...

I wanted to chime in at so many points...but it is a family blog, right? But I digress - one of your greatest qualities is knowing what is right for you and not settling. That PERSON is out there and you'll probably find them when you least expect it

Amy Sue Nathan said...

I'm 45 and single and all I can say that if you have single friends you're really fortunate. All my friends are married - and I'd love some single friends even if they were meeting people and I wasn't!