Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The mean gene

I've heard two different stories that were relayed to me this week and in both instances I wondered how anyone could be so cruel. I won't go into details because they were about people that were just so mean, thoughtless and hurtful that I won't dignify their behavior by repeating the story. But I will say this, there are some really mean people walking this earth.

We all have the mean gene and are capable of extreme cruelty. I get this. But just because we can, does it mean we have to? Children can be mean, sometimes they just don't know any better, sometimes they do. But adults have no excuse, so don't even try to justify it because you can't. I am by no means a saint, trust me. However, I do know this about myself. I would never ever go out of my way to make someone feel bad about themselves.

I guess for the most part I go through life with blinders on, I forget about the cruelty of the world or maybe I just choose to ignore it. Then there are times that I can't ignore it and I wonder how people can treat other people with such carelessness. I remember this email forward that I got a long time ago. It's a true story about a boy named Shaya. Please read it. It was a story that really touched me, if you can read this without tearing up you're a stronger person than I am. We could all learn a lesson from these kids.

6 comments:

SharonK said...

How can you lead us on like that??? I'm guessing one of the mean stories is mine (not about me, but about that dreadful woman from yesterday) but who's the other one? Let me gather up my righteous anger and point it in their direction!

Will read the linked story after I find my box of tissues...

Doreen said...

Not about you, you're not mean. One was about a table of adults mocking a mentally retarded guy. The other was about a parent at a kids baseball team saying that another kid "sucked", and the kid he was talking about heard him. I mean seriously, what is wrong with people??

SharonK said...

Ohhh, here I was thinking you were commenting on that evil woman who trashed and bashed my charity then listed it under volunteer work on her resume - I think we'll file that one under "Tacky and Classless", yes?

TK said...

Honey I know it's hard to believe but it is not always about you cc. That said, Doreen we do all have the occasional flair up of that gene. And moving my furniture doesn't qualify you for THAT list. Really though I am always disappointed in myself when it pops up. I admit there is the rare situation when it does.

Carolyn said...

Is the mean gene related to the bitchy gene? Are they one and the same, born from the same strain, or first cousins who did inappropriate things together? I dunno... but the bitchy gene lives within me. It has all the comforts of home, likes to head out for a night, weekend or (got forbid) week long binge. Sometimes it tries to find a comrade or two for there is comfort in numbers.

It is a terrible thing. It is part of me. It is something I am powerless to suppress at times. Shameful but true.

I hope the bitchy gene and mean gene are distant cousins at best.

Doreen said...

I have the bitch gene, it shows up faithfully every month :)

One example, a friend of mine has a daughter who has a child that has a birth defect. He turns one next month. Their neighbor, who I believe is Satan's spawn got into an argument with my friend. So her and her friend (mind you these are women in their 40's) said to the daughter when she was on their front porch - "go back inside with your retard". Can you imagine? To be so hurtful, so cruel, so heartless? That is what I mean by "mean gene"