Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The daughter I've always wanted

I have a fifteen year old son that I love with all my heart. I refer to him as "the boy", but it is with affection that I do so. He is my one and only child, the love of my life...but I always wanted a girl too. The boy was the first "boy" born into my family. I had two nieces before he was born, I loved buying them girly clothes, braiding their hair and painting their nails and even after my son was born, I thought for sure my next child was going to be a girl. Well, there was no child #2 so it turns out it is just me and my boy. I'm really okay with that, besides I do have a daughter by proxy.

Enter Ziggy. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to be just like her. I really love spending time with the Zigster. She makes me laugh. I also have so much fun teasing her :) She's a great sport, she laughs along with me. She makes fun of her mother (Sharon)and me because she doesn't get us (nor does she want to) when we are being silly. She has the best sense of humor, and since I'm not her mother the things I do to try to embarrass her make her laugh. If it were Sharon doing the same thing, she'd be horrified.

We recently went to the movies a few nights ago. It started to get chilly before we left. I did not bring a jacket and since Sharon is like a size 2 - and I am not - she let me borrow a Pashmina. When we got to the theater and took our seats (Ziggy was sitting next to me) I wrapped the Pashmina around my head and across my face. I asked Ziggy if she minded if I sat like that through the whole movie. After the movie, while walking to the parking lot, I broke out in song and danced my way over to the car, using the Pashmina as a prop to my dancing routine. Ziggy ran to the car as fast as she could.

Ziggy will take the time to explain her reality TV shows to me. She sings with me in the car to Michael Jackson's PYT. She laughs when I act silly and helps me move furniture around when her parents are out of town.

Best of all, I know that when she marries Nick Jonas - she'll invite me to the wedding.






5 comments:

TK said...

Her greatness is all my influence. You, my friend, get some of the non parental benefits

SharonK said...

I tried to tell Ziggy that once again the blog was about her, and even that you wrote it this time (as opposed to me), thinking it might garner some interest. I was wrong. She doesn't know what she's missing.

And btw, I tried to sing PYT along with her last night and received the death stare in response, along with a "Mom! You're ruining it!" Just a little bit of jealousy over here, wish I was as cool as you!

Doreen said...

I'm kinda like the cool aunt (do I get a fun name like "ta-ta"?). That's the beauty of it for me, all the fun without the parental headaches. It's good to be me. :)

TK said...

Don't ya know Mom you kill everything...as do I

Sara J. Henry said...

Hi, Sharon, was Quinn able to get hold of you? - I couldn't locate an email address for you anywhere ...