Friday, July 31, 2009

Is Fruit the New Crouton?

Sharon is one of the best cooks I know (another reason why I'd totally marry her if she were a dude). Seriously, she can take something as plain and simple as meatloaf and turn it into a gourmet meal. As a psudo member of her family I've had the privilege of dining at the Beck house on several occasions. I know that no matter what she makes, my taste buds are in for a fantastical journy. Except for when she makes salad.

Here is where Sharon and I differ in our thoughts on what should and should not be in a salad. Apparently a few years ago, Sharon got it into her head that fruit belongs in a salad. Now I realize that the rest of America is on this little kick as well and quite frankly I am not happy about it. What happened to the old days when a garden salad consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and croutons? And if you were feeling a little "saucy" you might add in some chopped peppers, bacon or even cheese. Who thought that it was a good idea to add orange slices to a salad? Raisins? At what point was it okay to put in apples or even cranberries?

What the heck is up with that? Fruit my friends belongs in a fruit salad mixed amongst other fruit. Has the world gone totally mad? So now, when Sharon says I'm making a salad my first question is, "a normal salad or does it have fruit in it?". She always laughs at me and my unwillingness to conform to the up and coming fruit-in-your-salad regime. She has even gone as far as to remind me that technically a tomato is a fruit, so I've actually been eating fruit in my salad my whole life. I don't let her get to me with her little Jedi-mind tricks. Save it sister, I'm not falling for it.

If it walks like a salad, and talks like a salad, then keep the damn fruit out! That's all I'm sayin....

4 comments:

TK said...

Well Doreen you know she is a bit fruity herself!!

Anonymous said...

Every proper salad should have a fruit a cheese and a nut...

SharonK said...

Ok, where's the comment I wrote earlier about force feeding you fruity salad for the rest of your life? Did you delete my comment?

That's it, I'm painting the grapes red and sneaking them into your salad disguised as tomatoes right now!

Amy Sue Nathan said...

This is so funny! I love a salad best with fruit in it! Fruit IS the new crouton!