Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The race is on

Those who know me know I have a weight issue. The issue is simply that I've got too much of it. I've struggled all my life with my weight, yo-yo diets were a way of life for me. I was always the girl who people said had a great personality and such a pretty face, if she lost weight she'd be a knock out.

Sometimes these words were motivating, often times frustrating, but mostly if I'm being totally honest it hurt. I've made up excuses, "I have a thyroid problem so I have to work twice as hard as anyone else to lose weight". "I'm just too busy to work out". "I'm too exhausted when I get home from work to go for a walk".

I've tried to go the quick route and looked into bypass surgery. I would have done it, but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover it. Immediate depression set in and I felt hopeless.

Dating in your 40's is no picnic. Being over weight in your 40's and dating is a nightmare. Sure I get the occasional "chubby chaser" but I always feel like they like my body now but what if I lost weight?. Then I get mad at myself for being so cynical. Then I met someone who likes me for me and still I can't seem to appreciate it because I am not happy with myself.

I have accomplished so much in my life, I've worked hard at being successful professionally. I've never backed away from a challenge and have always achieved my professional goals. So I've decided to tackle this "weight issue" with the same mindset. I have a goal - lose 80 lbs in 40 weeks. That's 2 lbs a week. And my wonderful, awesome, supportive BFF and I will celebrate by taking a Caribbean vacation once I've achieved my goal.

There is no quick fix, no easy route. Exercise every day, eat right and stay focused. That's the plan. The long, hard plan. But if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. I've learned that if you don't work hard for what you want, if it comes too easy - I lose focus and before I Know it I'm back where I started.

So off I go, the race is on and I am going to win. I'm always open to suggestions on good healthy lifestyle tips so please feel free to share.

6 comments:

SharonK said...

I'm going to book our trip now - and maybe buy you a bikini, too!

You can do it!

Doreen said...

Hey now ... a bikini? Let's not get crazy!! Thanks for the support my friend, you're the best :)

Jill Kemerer said...

Congrats on setting a goal! I don't know any woman who doesn't struggle with her weight or just being healthy. Even slender women need to be on top of their health. Exercising and eating right are everyone's concern.

Here's to getting healthy and staying motivated!

TK said...

I have no doubt that you can do anything once you've set your mind to it!!

Carolyn said...

I'm with you Doreen! I never thought I'd be a gym rat - but here I am in the thick of it. The hardest thing for me has been staying motivated as I'm doing this alone. Maybe we can be crazy "getting fit" pals?
As long as you don't make me give up wine... whine?... no, really - wine!

Anonymous said...

I read your Blog and it sounded like my life story stay focused you can do it. I wish I could but I have serious illnesses now at 49, just wished I would have been as determined as you at an earlier age.
Good luck!!!!!!
HAPPILY MARRIED