Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Zumba-licious


In my quest to get healthier and shed the many unwanted pounds, I joined a Zumba class. You may have heard of it. It's the latest craze in aerobic exercise. Zumba combines aerobics with Latin dance. I watched Zumba videos online and it looked like it was more fun than exercise so I figured I'd give it a shot. Their slogan, "Ditch the workout, join the party". Who doesn't love a party?

I wasn't sure what to expect at my first class. The location I chose was very difficult to find (and not just because I am geographically challenged). I left my Road Nazi at home on the charger. Not that she would have been any help since our last excursion when she stated "you have arrived", as I stared at an empty parking lot.

So I'm trying to locate this "Wellness Center" and it's getting later and later. The little voice in my head (the evil one) was saying things like "just forget it, you're going to be late" and "Hey, it's not your fault you couldn't find it - let's go get an ice cream". But I've become good at ignoring the evil voice and my persistence prevailed. Finally I found the Kismet Wellness Center.

I checked in at the front desk, got a tour of the place and took a moment to admire some really buff guys with six pack abs kickboxing in front of a huge glass wall. What? A girl can look right? Everyone was very friendly. But my biggest concern was that I was SO out of shape and I don't really dance. Not to mention my predetermined notion that it would be a class full of chicks in belly tank tops with rock hard bodies who would wonder who let me into their class. I was sure I'd look like a fool and bump into people or quit mid-Zumba.

The class was full of real people, who admittedly were better at Zumba than I was but I never felt like I didn't belong there.

The music started and we danced. I didn't get all the steps, I couldn't even do some of them - but I never stopped moving and before I knew it the class was over. I didn't quit like I was sure I'd do. When the music finished, I was hot, sweaty, tired and exhilarated. I made it through and I felt Zumba-licious!


3 comments:

Little Ms J said...

I am far too competitive for Zumba. I went once and wanted to knock someone out because I was so frustrated!

SharonK said...

I'm in! I think we all pinky-swore last night that we'd go to the 7:00 a.m. class on Sat monring right?

I can't wait, especially if the guy with the abs is going to be there...

Doreen said...

LMJ - I would have loved to have seen a Zumba smack-down at the end of my work out.

Sharon - yes we pinky-swore, only for you would I get up at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday.