Wednesday, September 9, 2009

MacGyver or Jedi?

Do you remember the TV show MacGyver? MacGyver's main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items—along with his ever-present army Swiss knife. The clever solutions MacGyver implemented to seemingly intractable problems—often in life-or-death situations requiring him to improvise complex devices in a matter of minutes.

I know MacGyver, OK not really but I know a MacGyver-ish guy. TK's BFF (whom we all refer to as MacGyver) is one of those guys who can do anything from build an outdoor shower out of bamboo (including all plumbing), erect a sturdy fence from Styrofoam and run the electrical and hang a chandelier with a toothpick and a paper clip. Regardless of the task at hand, he's the guy who gets the job done. Sharon always says, if she were stuck on a desert island and could have anyone with h
er - it would be him. I'd have to agree with her. The reason? He's the dude that's gonna get you off the island with a coconut and some seaweed.

So I've known MacGyver for a couple of years and I've never heard him say "No, I can't do that". However, I've recently discovered something new about our crafty friend. MaGyver is also part Jedi. When he says something is so, TK never questions him. TK will suggest something, MacGyver will tell him the complete opposite and without quest
ion, without argument TK will believe him. It's like he waves his hand and says "No, we don't need to anchor the boat it will be fine"...and TK says, "hey, we don't need to anchor the boat".

If you know TK, you know that he's not easily swayed in his convictions.
He loves to debate and you have to present a really good case for him to back down. So, it only stands to reason that MacGyver is part Jedi. I guess that would also be helpful on the island, he'd wave his hand and tell the cannibals "you don't want us for dinner, move along".

The only thing I can't figure out, is where he hides his Jedi robe and light sabre. He'll deny it, but I'm on to you MacGyver. I am immune to your Jedi mind tricks.

3 comments:

SharonK said...

He is indeed both... mind control is a wonderful thing. And since TK does not take every word I say as the gospel truth and instead debates with me (only to grudgingly admit that I was right much later) MacGyver is working his Jedi mojo on my behalf. He follows every comment I make with "SharonK is correct, my friend. It is so." And BAM! TK nods his head and agrees.

Cool party trick, huh? Plus you should see what he can do with bubble gum and duct tape.

TK said...

After 43 years of hanging with MaGyver I have developed some trust on what he tells me. Well there was that one time but I digress....and now that SB's secret of what she is trying to accomplish has been made known it won't work.

SharonK said...

Au contraire, mon frere. I will use the power for good, not evil. It's not like I've asked him to convince you I should run off with Shaun Cassidy or anything....

Yet.