Thursday, September 10, 2009

To the Bat Cave...

I've been seeing this guy for about 6 weeks now. When we first started dating, I told Sharon his name, she said "Oh, like Batman?"...and the name stuck. Now, we refer to him as Batman. That's his name on my phone, and our other friends have caught on as well, I don't even think they know his real name. Every once in a while I'll get "So how's Batman?". When my phone rings, "Oh, was that Batman?" "Are you seeing Batman tonight?" No I'm not, not tonight. He's busy fighting crime this evening. That pesky Riddler is up to his old shenanigans again.

When I told Batman about his appointed name, I could tell he didn't really know what to think. I told him he should be honored that Sharon and I have bestowed upon him such a cool nickname. I still think he thinks I'm a nut. I'm okay with that, it's part of my charm. He rolls with it though, when he invites me over - he asks if I want to come over to the bat cave and watch a movie. On several occasions he's said things like "Of course I can do that, I'm Batman" or "That's how I roll, I'm Batman".

I think I've created a monster, and I'm just waiting for the day when he shows up wearing a cape and a mask. I can't decide if it would be funny or creepy. I would however be okay with him rolling up in a Bat-Mobile type of car... perhaps a black BMW Z4, it is kind of Bat-mobile-esque. Yeah, that would be cool.

One of my FB friends commented that it was a better nickname than some of her boyfriends have ever received, and so it started me thinking of nicknames we give our kids, friends, boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, girlfriends, etc.

Sometimes I call my son "boy", I refer to him as "the boy". It is a term of endearment and he smiles every time I say something like "boy, did you get your homework done?". Sharon refers to her as Ziggy on here, but she calls her daughter Doll or Dolly, which is so cute...I think it stemmed from when she was very young...she looked just like a little doll.

I have a friend that I've known for 14 years now. I call him Pookie, he calls me Yoda. No, not because I'm 3 feet tall, green and wrinkly...it is because I am wise and all knowing.. so step off people. For the record, he's the only one who can get away with calling me that (except for Sharon, but she already has a nickname for me - it is Soulstah), so don't any of you get any ideas. Anyway, Pookie is the king of nicknames. In the course of 14 years, he's dated many, many women...all have nicknames, yes every single one. He never refers to them by their first name. I sometimes have a hard time keeping track when he refers to a girl he dated like 8 years ago by her nickname. Recently we were discussing people who were not too bright. So part of our conversation went something like this:

"Remember Rock?"

"Umm, who?"

"Rock, the chick who was kind of a stalker?"

"Oh yeah, what about her?"

"She dated a guy who was kind of like that"

Off the top of my head I've remembered quite a few of the nicknames so I thought I'd share them, I'm sure these girls won't mind since they have no clue that he does this or what their nicknames were, and it is probably best that they don't know what they mean. Here are a few:

  • PS
  • PU
  • Minnie
  • Fake rack
  • Man-hands
  • Reavis
  • Changstein
  • Rock
  • Butter
  • Cans
  • Jori
People at work call me Dori, this comes from the movie Finding Nemo. Yes, I'm forgetful sometimes. One of the sales guys went crazy one year, he sent me plush Dori fishes and several Dori T-shirts (his wife worked for Disney). One of the girls in my office brought me back a little snow globe from Key West with a Dori fish in it. It's not a bad nickname, I don't love it - but it's better than Yoda.

What are some of the nicknames of the people in your life?

5 comments:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Doreen! You never tell a guy his nickname - or you'll need another one in order to write about him! I have nicknames for every man I've dated in the past 7 years - my favorites being Volde (short for Voldemort - he who shall not be named) and (forgive me) - Father Tom, who refers to someone who is most definitely not a priest or even Catholic. It's so fun really because men sort of fall into names that suit them. Ah, if they only knew!!!

Love the nickname Batman!!

Doreen said...

Ahhh we all have a Voldermort "he who shall not be named" in our lives don't we!!!

Carolyn said...

Well, my girl is LuLu (no indication towards her real name what-so-ever), and my boy is Doodlebug (which does not go over too well in his crowd of peeps, so we keep that to ourselves). Until now. My car is JoJo (don't ask me why), and my man is "my man".
Huh. Not so original.
Nicknames are a big part of my world. I'll keep my faves for private conversations. Hee hee.
Great blog!

TK said...

I have always been one to use the first initial such as "G" for Ziggy and "D" for the nun. My oldest daughter has been called Queenie but her nickname should really be Princess which she could share with her mother. My honey still goes by SB eventhough it no longer is so...she has also been called Cup Cake, Bing Bing, Binger, Bingaling and a couple more that she might not want repeated here. Then there is our friend Rich who has a name for everyone with mine being Rain Man...not sure how I got that one!!

NF said...

my nickname is "brother", when my sister was little i think she thought that was my name and it stuck. everyone gets a kick out it, when she talks to me. Brother, Brother what are doing?