Thursday, October 22, 2009

Good Vibes

As many of you are just getting to know me through this blog I wanted to explain something that you might not know about me.

My mind veers off in many different directions.

All the time.

Not to say I don't accomplish what I set out to accomplish.

I do.

Really.

Most of the time. Like 98% of the time.

But I thrive on chaos and stress and overall busy-ness.

Here's what happens - I am focused on something, a project or a work thing. Whatever. Then BLAM! An idea hits and I need to write it down before I forget.

Or I'm cooking dinner and my phone rings. Someone asks me a question and suddenly, I am whipping out my credit card to put a deposit on a hotel in St Thomas. And dinner is still on the table promptly. And it's delicious, of course.

Why am I telling you this?

Because my blog was originally going to be called something like "What a Difference A Day Makes" and I was going to post these photos:

This was earlier this week, in Boston


And this is this morning, in Myrtle Beach. Where I am, right now, listening to the waves crash on the beach. Ha! No matter how many times I say that it still sounds great!



But as I'm taking these pictures and making a mental list of all the things I could do today vs. all the things I should do today I get an email from my friend and fellow writer Little Miss J.

And now the blog is not about hating me for being in 80 degree weather by the beach, it's about paying Good Vibes forward.

Little Miss J is part of my writer's group - I'll explain in another blog so I don't get sidetracked again here. Her email this morning was about paying Good Vibes forward, per another writer's blog, and how it worked for her. So she's throwing out Good Vibes too - of which I hope to be the proud recipient soon.

You see I'm in Myrtle Beach preparing for the SCWC and hoping to somehow connect with the agent who has requested a partial of my novel, overwhelm her with my writerly skills while appearing calm, cool and above all else, marketable.

B
ecause as I have heard and read and learned, a great book is nothing if you don't have "it". You must be marketable. It's no longer just about your writing skills. It's about you as a person.

Can you hold an intelligent conversation without the benefit of a QWERTY keyboard?

Do your eyes get all shifty and you pee your pants when someone asks what your book is about?

Do you drool?

Chew with your mouth open?

Hide behind the fake plants at cocktail parties?

In a nutshell ARE YOU MARKETABLE?

So ok, I think I've written a great book. Doreen thinks so too. And while that's all that really should matter apparently this agent needs other people to agree. But a good book just isn't enough. I need to be good too. I need to "somebody".

Or at least "somebody who could be somebody someday" if you know what I mean.

And I need to be writerly and fabulous and charming and cool and intelligent and literary and and and and....

And just send me some Good Vibes, would you already???

And while we're on that subject - what do you need Good Vibes for today?

Let me know and I'll send some your way too.

I'll squeeze it in somewhere between talking to myself in the mirror, practicing intelligent and thought-provoking small talk that's not about the weather, walking the beach, trying to remember to eat lunch, deciding which outfit to wear on which day, working on my synopsis and and and and...

5 comments:

Doreen said...

Yeah, you lost me with the pictures. I've totally forgotten what this blog is about - I just want to be sitting on that balcony with you. Soaking up the sun and drinking a fruity frozen drink. I need a vacation.

Carolyn said...

I think I've been on that same balcony in MB!
Great place. Early morning walks or late night strolls on the beach, a glass of wine or a cup of coffee on the balcony. It's all good! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Screw the good vibes. Sending GREAT ones your way!

TK said...

Does my opinion count? I know you are marketable. You sold me! Big kiss for luck

Little Ms J said...

Good vibes, good vibes, good vibes. Do you feel them? They may feel like a buzz after your drink on the beach, but it's me.