Friday, October 30, 2009

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown... or why marriage is like tv


I watched It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown the other night.

All by myself.

Ziggy was in the shower, Moose was in the cave and TK was traveling.

And I loved watching it. For the ninety-seventh time.

Don't get me wrong, I love having my family with me, cuddled up with popcorn in front of the tv. But it just doesn't seem to work out that way often enough.

TV doesn't fascinate my family like it does me.

Let me rephrase - my family is so used to seeing the tv on, whether they are watching it or not, that they are no longer fascinated by it.

Ziggy records everything and anything and watches it whenever she feels like it. Which is pretty much all the time.

Moose downloads the two or three shows that he follows, every movie that comes out and watches them all on his computer.

TK thinks the tv only gets two channels - Fox News and ESPN.

For the most part I don't really watch tv and while there are several shows I dvr the truth is I very rarely get to watch them. Nor do I usually want to.

I know I can call up any show on the dvr, Netflix online or on demand or even run out and rent what I want to see but...

There's just something about stopping what you are doing at a certain time and watching a show when it's being aired. Planning for it and around it.

You see, I don't take the show for granted. I don't pause it when I'm distracted. Ignore it when I'm busy with other things. I don't tell the show "Not now but maybe later." I give it my time and attention. I don't answer the phone or read a book. I'm focused. If it's important to me, I make the time.

It's kind of like dating vs marriage.

When you're dating, you know you have to go/be/meet somewhere at a specific time. If you don't, well, you miss out. And may never get another chance to "see the show" again. No recording, pausing or putting it back on the shelf for later will recreate that particular "show" again.

But once you're married? The "show" is always on, always available. Morning? Yep. Dinnertime? Yep. Holidays, weekends, golf season, flu season, middle of the night? Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep.

So we might not be as fascinated as we once were. You might even say we begin to take the "show" for granted.

We might hit pause a little too often.

Keep one eye on the "show" over the top of a newspaper or laptop.

Busy? Well, the "show" isn't going anywhere. Come back to it later.

Weeks later.

Heck, months later - it'll still be there right? Right?
Maybe. Or maybe not.

Hmmm.

Just to be on the safe side, personally, I'm going to make sure I don't take my "show" for granted.

I'm disabling the pause button and throwing away the remote, baby.
Because the "show" is on and I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's the best "show" ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HerDawn:
Interesting and valid comparison but I would extend it beyond marriage to all those relationships with beloveds who are IN our lives.

One takes for granted what one "has" like a bike for which one begs and yearns and finally gets then leaves aside in the yard.

The Love of My Life (the first chapter) and I used to joke all the time about how people would get lazy and take each other for granted.

Then we did. Or, truthfully, then he did.

Me? I asked for 2 things in my entire childhood ~ a dog (which I never got) and a swingset for my birthday. Even though my family had 9 kids I got that swingset and not one of my siblings minded because I never, ever asked for anything.

I rode that thing till it was rusty and taken down.

So, watch your beloveds like a favorite tv show and ride them like a great swingset.

TK said...

Honey when you are in the room I am always focused on THE SHOW!!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you call me when Charlie Browns Christmas is on and we can sit and watch it like we did many many years ago!!
Spendy