Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Plan B

Today I'm a Type A with a Plan B.

The original goal was to have my synopsis and first 75 pages to the agent-in-waiting last week. Following the South Carolina's Writer's Workshop, I had three weeks to accomplish this goal.

Plan A, as it were.

Ordinarily I thrive on deadline. Love, love, love time frames, deadlines, due dates - anything with an end date, hey count me in.

However.

P
lan A did not have a "due by" it had a "due after". Agent-in-waiting said, and I quote, "Please send to me after..." Not on. Not before. But after.

So technically, I am still on time. And today, one week later, is still after. Conversely, January 2012 is also after. Which begs the question - how after is after?

Yeah, not a question I'll be asking the agent-in-waiting. Let's just assume she meant immediately after. Near future after. Within this year of our Lord two thousand and nine after.

So Plan B.

Plan B is a self-imposed deadline. It's the only way.

I need it.

I crave it.

Must. Have. Deadline.

Like water to a plant (it seems they need it desperately, I've experimented in my own garden and tested the theory), I cannot thrive without a definitive, heart-pounding, stress-causing absolute must-have-in-hand-by date.

With everything else going on in my life (grown up time with TK, job-that-pays-the-bills, condo shopping with Moose, two new little Rugrats, and well, Ziggy is 13, need I say more?), there is not even a slim chance that I will get this done if I am left to my own devices with a "send to me after" date.

So.

My new official Plan B deadline is, drumroll please... Saturday.

Why am I telling you this?

Several reasons.

First -don't bother me with unimportant crap. And I mean that in the most loving way. Really. Call me if your cat died. Or if your car died. Not sure if you should call me?

Ask yourself this first - do I actually have anything to say? Or ask? Or offer? If your answer is no then stop dialing and go away. If your answer is maybe, stop vacillating and make a decision. Yes or no. If the answer is yes, hit that #1 and send (because I should always be speed dial #1). If it's no, well reread this paragraph.

Second - Feel free to taunt me. But please do it at respectable intervals, not incessantly throughout the day. And via email whenever possible. Suggestions for taunting include "Hey how's that synopsis coming? Done yet? Are you? Are you? Are you?" or "Did you fix that major character flaw yet or is your main character still as interesting as dishwater?" Or impress me with your own, carefully thought out taunts.

Third - Give me a break. I am lost in Elmo's World and could use the company on occasion. Come by for coffee (Call first. Duh). Bring intelligent conversation with you. Talk about things that don't involved poop, Sesame Street or um, poop.

Before you get all "How do I know what to do and when?" on me - relax.

I'm not talking to you.

I'm talking to the other people.

The ones that don't ask that question.

The ones that get me.

3 comments:

TK said...

Grown up time...not there is an interesting concept. BTW I don't think you'll finish by Saturday NAH NAH NAH

Anonymous said...

Herredon:

Gosh I'd write a comment but I don't wanna git yelped at.

Thoughts with you (and with the family who should be eggstraw mice to you this week).

Little Ms J said...

Taunt.