Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Books, Glorious Books!



Dear Sweet Loving Books,

I was wrong.

There I said it.

I got the words out and didn't throw up (much) as I said them.


Ok allow me to rephrase that.

I was right at the time I said all those things I said to you, you know about how shallow you are, how boring, how blah, blah, blah.


I was right. Then. At that particular moment in time. Now? Not so much.

I was, I will admit, perhaps a bit too harsh. Maybe a tad too quick to point the finger.

The truth is... I do believe I've fallen back in love with you.

My incredible friends have stepped to the plate and well, like all good friends can do, they whupped me up side the head and talked a little sense into me.

You have them to thank for saving us. So say thank you.

It started with Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I was sucked in by the back cover copy and though I braced myself for disappointment... none came. None! It was engaging, moving and well written. Finally, a book I could respect and recommend!

Then one of my newer BFFs in the making, Funky Diva, recommended The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett). In all honesty I haven't read it yet but when she suggested it I remembered that I meant to. Which means it must have piqued my interest at one time. So it's on the list now and I'm excited at the prospect of cracking it open.

Then my nook was whining. A lot. "You've had me since Christmas... buy me something already!" Writers in my writerly circle were all abuzz about Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. So my first official ebook purchase was made. Beth, you had me at "Steel Magnolias meets The Help..."

What would I read next? I no sooner asked the question than it was answered by fellow blogger and writer Shelby Dupree , who was kind enough to feed my reading habit by hosting a giveaway on her site, giving away... you guessed it. Books! Not just any books, but books she swears she read and enjoyed. Thanks Shelby!

Then as if the Book Gods weren't smiling down on me enough, Randy Susan Meyer's debut novel The Murderer's Daughters was released. Well, Randy is not only a fellow Backspace member but also a Boston girl... how could I not read it? Plus I'm seeing her on Thursday so the least I could do is read it, right?


Let me interrupt myself for a moment... I have a few writer friends / acquaintances. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be friends with a writer?

Or, to be more specific - Do you have any idea how hard it is to be friends with a writer who gets published before you and whose book you shelled out twenty bucks for only to think when you finish it is what great kindling it would make for your fire and would the marshallows you roasted over it while it burned now taste nasty?

So, yeah, I was a bit nervous about reading it.


Well let me just say this - It's all I can do to sit here and write this post and not crawl back under the covers with Randy's book. I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK.

Last night, after TK peeled the book from my face (I just rested it there for a second, I wasn't sleeping, really), I climbed out of my toasty warm bed and shuffled downstairs to make some coffee just so I could stay awake and find out what happens to Merry.

Then I remembered my Keurig was broken.

Stupid Keurig.

Anyway, my point is... I'm sorry Books. I was right. You were wrong. And then I was wrong. Now you're right.

But if we give it one more try I think we can make this work. Because I love you Books.

And if loving you is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Now stop gloating and hush up so I can get back to my reading.

6 comments:

Cara and Jenn said...

I am almost finished with the Piano Teacher and at a loss as to what to read next so thank you for all the great suggestions. I will start with Saving CeeCee Honeycutt as I really enjoyed The Help so you got me there. I fall in and out of love with my kindle - downloading one day - heading to the library the next...when there is something good to read, books are the love of my life.
-Jenn

Doreen said...

I don't have HALF the hectic life you have...and I never find time to read anymore. When I do find the time, it's at night while I'm in bed and I get through maybe one chapter and I feel myself fighting to keep my eyes open. So I have two questions.

1)Where do you find the time or energy?

2)Can I borrow the murder's daughter? Maybe it will keep me awake!

Randy Susan Meyers said...

From your writer friend: sure hope you like the rest of THE MURDERER'S DAUGHTERS!! I can't wait to read your book and write about it. :0 And talk about it.

SharonKendrew said...

Thanks Cara and Jenn - now I can add the Piano Teacher to MY list! Just don't forget to add the Murderer's Daughters...

Doreen - I don't sleep. Ever. And since mine will be an autographed copy I will hold it near and dear but I'm sure Randy would appreciate selling another book so get yourself to B&N girl!

And Randy - looking forward to reading about me on your blog - hopefully I won't have to wait too long for that!!!

Little Ms J said...

I haven't yet read Saving CeeCee, but I am halfway through Randy's book and I love it! I can't wait to see what happens next and that is the beauty of a good book! Oh, and we know her, so that makes us extra special cool.

Funky diva said...

Great post - I was worried about you for a while there but like all true love I knew you would find your way back to Books. It's ok to yell at our loved ones...they understand and are still here for you.