Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Is There a Doctor In the House?


Ziggy has known what she wants to be since she was, oh, maybe five or six.

I'm not sure when it happened, or even how... but somewhere around that age she decided she was going to be a doctor.

I'd come home from work and there she was, like most kids her age, sitting on the couch, eyes glued to the tv.

Only unlike most kids, Zig was watching a caesarean birth. Or the separation of conjoined twins - this one was always a hit with her. Or a heart transplant.

Around the age of seven she chose her college - Harvard. I think it had more to do with the fun vibe of Harvard Square, not to mention the huge candy store.

I took Zig to Manhattan for the first time when she was nine or ten. By this time she had narrowed her chosen field down to surgery. Not only would she be a doctor, she would be a surgeon.

My suburban girl fell in love with the sites, sounds and ugh, even the smells of New York. She tries to talk me into going back for a night or two every few months.
And so her career was still focused on medicine but now her college of choice? NYU.

Not only did Manhattan have Times Square and peanuts on every corner, but Mary Kate and Ashley went to NYU and if it's good enough for them... yeah.

Ziggy's a teenager now and will be entering high school soon. She's still focused, even more so than before. She has narrowed her field even futher - cosmetic surgery.

On the one hand I'm hoping she will be using her skills to help those less fortunate - burn victims for example. On the other hand, I eagerly await receiving the deep family discount on a lift and a tuck. I figure by the time she graduates, I'll need both.

Stanford is now her school of choice. Not sure why, other than the fact that it, like Harvard and NYU, comes with a hefty price tag.

I look at her going to Stanford in a much different light than Harvard or NYU - essentially I have four more years to selfishly talk her out of crossing the country and leaving me for a college too far away to come home for weekends and holidays.

Zig has even planned her marriage and the birth of her two children to work around her education and career training - hopefully she finds the right man at the right time who is willing to conform to her Master Plan.

Did you ever remember having that much focus at so young an age? I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up until... well, last year I think.

I love that girl. But her absolute faith in herself is one of the many, oh so very many reasons I admire her too.

Zig may grow up to be a doctor and realize her childhood dream. She may not. Either way is ok with me as long as she's happy and knows that God has a plan for her life.

But whatever Ziggy becomes, and wherever her college choices and career path lead her (ok, not actually wherever - I meant wherever as long as it's near home), she'll always be her mommy's girl.

4 comments:

Herredon said...

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was 3.

I never wavered nor questioned and I was That Teacher for many, many students - a fact of which I'm very proud.

May Zig get all her dreams and may they, better yet, live up to her desires of what they should be.

Lisa and Laura said...

Ok, you simply must tell me your secret to raising such a motivated, smart little girl. Or better yet, write a book. I'll totally buy it.

SharonKendrew said...

I could write a book about it, but it would have to be fiction, I've been blessed with an incredible daughter and can take very little credit. This is the same girl who decided at 18 months she was done with diapers and all but potty trained herself...

Debbie said...

I'd like to get in line now for the family blogging friend cosmetic surgery discount. Is that OK?