Friday, July 16, 2010

The Big Kids



I've been a bad blogger. I know I have.

And I'm sorry.

I'm not trying to make excuses but...

I have excuses.

Four of them actually.

As life has transitioned and settled in with the Little Kids - as much as life can "settle in" with two pre-schoolers - the Big Kids are moving on and moving out.

I can't believe how fast it's gone by. Wasn't it just yesterday that Moose was doing the chicken dance in kindergarten? And when did Ziggy get longer legs than me???

Three weeks ago Ziggy graduated eighth grade and all of a sudden, she's a freshman.

Two weeks ago four hulking boys, no men, came to my house, loaded a truck with 23 years worth of Moose stuff and just like that, my boy was out in the world.


In the time it took to say "momma, look!!!" we've gone from this



to this


to this


to this


to this


to this


to this


and just a few weeks ago



to this



I blinked.

I blinked and suddenly Ziggy wasn't rushing to the door, screaming "mommy!!!" and wrapping her arms around my legs as if she hadn't just seen me an hour ago.

I blinked and Moose went from an unassuming boy who preferred video games over people to a man with a firm handshake, an easygoing manner and a cocky "I know things" expression.

Where did the time go?

Did we enjoy every moment to the fullest? Did I tell them I loved them enough? Did they learn what they needed to learn to be good, upright, respectful adults? Did we have fun?

Before I know it there will be another graduation for Ziggy. A promotion for Moose. Disappointments. Love. Heartaches. Engagements. Weddings. Grandchildren.

I don't want to miss any of it.

I don't think I'll ever blink again.

7 comments:

Woman in Love said...

Herredon:
Yeah, like blinking indeed. My nephew has a daught...uh, make that a daughter AND, now, a son. Wasn't I just rocking him to sleep? Wasn't it yesterday he ran around the living room with a belt tied round his waist so the cat could chase him?

I think it was. I'd swear it was. On a stack of books, I'd swear. Yet, here he is married almost 10 years with 2 kids.

It carves out a hole inside that fills with poignancy. I always think of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTp3BKsKxWE

Anonymous said...

wooo --- starting my day with tears in my eyes now. that was beautiful.... coming from a mom of 5. one just married and one just recently engaged! and the youngest one starting high school... it did happen in a blink of an eye

- Brenda

Little Ms J said...

I love that in every picture Moose and Ziggy have their arms around each other. You did something right, my dear. I can tell just by your photos.

Anonymous said...

OMG. . . ok, no blinking allowed, but I swear I read the "G" word. . . Grandchildren. . yikes!!!! LOVED THE BLOG

- Lis

Anonymous said...

thanks sharon, just how i wanted to start the morning a crying soupy mess before work.
OMG!!!! those two are my favorite big kids!!!and now we get to do it all over again with the little kids!!! Aunna

Funky Diva said...

I have tears in my eyes reading it. I think we will need to start photos with your rugrat and mine photos so that we can do a similar slide show at their wedding!

- Lisa

SharonKendrew said...

Amazing isn't it? Time goes by so quickly and sometimes we forget to appreciate how limited that time is with our kids.

Ms J - funny, I didn't even notice they were hugging in every picture... though I have to admit some were forced, like the two of them dancing at my wedding on the beach. Spontaneous hugging will resume sometime after Ziggy turns 18 I think.

Lis - yeah, grandchildren. Imagine??? At least we know we'll be the hottest grandmas EVER, right?

Thank you all for comments!